- It is highly recommended that you utilize this service.
- This allows us to quickly check your group into the zoo upon arrival.
- Tickets will be pre-counted in an envelope for each teacher along with ride tokens.
- Groups should email their “Zoo Check-In form” to email@example.com.
- Once the forms are emailed, additional people cannot be added. (We will refund for absent people on the day of your field trip).
- Forms should be checked for accuracy.
- Do not note mail your forms until you have your final numbers completed.
- The school will be notified by email when both forms are received.
- Bring your school check as payment the next morning to pick up your envelopes.
- Students need to be supervised by an adult at all times in the zoo, in the gift shop, on the rides, and on the playground.
- No climbing over fences, throwing rocks or other objects at animals.
- Stay on designated pathways.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- No 2-way radios or whistles.
- No smoking or drinking inside the zoo.
- Zoo admission ticket must be worn visibly on chest and is your ticket for re-entrance to the zoo.
- Please do not pick flowers or remove animal feathers from the zoo; they are zoo property.
Admission and Ride Fees
- See the Zoo Check-in Form
Zoo Rides and Playground
- Safari Train- a 15-20 minute round trip ride into the African Savannah to see the free-roaming animals up close. Requires an additional fee.
- Safari Sky Ride- a 15-20 minute round trip ride high above the Zoo to see and enjoy the animals from a bird’s eye view. Requires an additional fee.
- Jungle Carousel- a 2 minute ride on a merry-go-round. Requires an additional fee.
- Playground- included in your zoo admission. Children MUST be monitored at all times. Please be courteous of other children wanting to play.
Zoo Life Program
- A 20 minute educational program presented at out covered amphitheater offered to K-12.
- Your presentation time will be assigned when you arrive.
- You may have to share the amphitheater with other school groups depending on group size, age, and time of arrival.
- One or more pavilions will be reserved for your group for lunch. Each pavilion will accommodate about 25 students.
- Bring blankets to picnic on the grass.
- Bring all lunches in with you as you enter the zoo and leave them at your designated pavilion (s).
- You are responsible to clean up your picnic area of all trash and lunch debris. Trash should be deposited into appropriate trash receptacles.
- There are not water fountains located on zoo property. Be sure to bring water from home or purchase water cups from concessions for $0.25.
- May be pre-ordered and picked up at check-in. Zoo Treats will be in trays and labeled with your school name. Please distribute after your Zoo Life Program.
- May also be purchased for $2.00/16 oz cup from a wagon outside the amphitheater OR in the gift ship later in the day.
- May also be purchased for $.25/ small handful from feed machines in the zoo.
- Zoo Treats can be hand fed to giraffes,m barnyard animals, and dear. Can be thrown to prairie dogs, fish in ponds, ducks and monkeys.
- NO plastic bags or plastic cups are allowed to hold zoo treats. Plastic is hazardous to our animals.
- Federal Regulations prohibit feeding our animals any food not provided by the zoo.
- To feed: hold hand flat and keep cups away from animals.
- Can purchase zoo treats, snacks, novelty ice cream, bottled drinks, ride tickets, stroller and adult chair rentals, and souvenirs.
- Students must be supervised by adult chaperones at all times in the gift shop.
- Personal food and drink items are allowed in the gift shop or to be consumed in the gift shop.
- $2.00 gift bags are available for preorder. Please order at least one week in advance of your field trip. Gift bags will be pre-counted and given to the group leader upon arrival.
Snack Bar/ Concession Stands and NO Water Fountains
- Fountain drinks, hot dogs, fries, chicken nuggets, chicken sandwiches, soft serve ice cream, smoothies, and snow cones. Hot chocolate is available in the winter season.
- Because we have well-water only, county regulations prevent us from having water fountains on zoo property. Please bring water bottles to carry around the zoo.
- Drink vending machines throughout the zoo sell sodas, Gatorades, and bottled water. We do not sell any caffeinated beverages.
- Click for 2015 Concession Menu and Prices (subject to change)
Restrooms and Hand Washing
- There are two restroom locations: just inside the front entrance and in the lower end of the zoo near the barnyard area and concession stand.
- For the protection of everyone, students must wash their hands after feeding the animals in our restrooms or use the hand sanitizer stations before eating.
- The Metro Richmond Zoo is privately owned and funded solely by gate receipts, and gift shop and concession sales. The Zoo receives no federal or state funding.
- Please give as must prior notice as possible.
- No refunds (except for absent students and/or chaperones who are included in the group payment and whose unused admission stickers are returned.)
- No rain checks.
- We do not give out rain dates in advance due to the the large number of groups that schedule in the spring. If the weather is questionable on the day of your field trip, you may call us that morning as early, as 8 am for rescheduling options. We will NOT reschedule you before the day of your field trip due to the weather forecasts,. However, the zoo is open in the rain and some groups still choose to come.
Metro Richmond Zoo
8300 Beaver Bridge Rd, Moseley, VA, 23120
(804) 739-5666, Fax (804) 739-6003