|REPORTS TO:||General Manager|
|PAY RATE:||Starting at $10.00 – $12.00|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Accredited by the Zoological Association of America the Metro Richmond Zoo is known for providing exciting opportunities for guests to interact with the animals. The zoo is working to save endangered species in Virginia and around the world. By inspiring visitors and others to learn, care and act, the Metro Richmond Zoo is making a difference in our planet’s future.
Assists the maintenance and project team with renovation and new exhibit construction. Fast paced hard working job. Very rewarding with the diversity of tasks and the on the job training opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
80% of time will be spent:
Assisting the maintenance and project team with renovation and new exhibit construction:
- Performs various physical duties as assigned.
- Maintain all safety standards.
- Moves, secures, installs, builds, loads, or unloads materials.
- Performs some specialized tasks which may require on-the job training.
- Effectively using heavy and light equipment, depending on the jobsite/assignment.
- Moves items from place to place, according to direction from supervisor.
- Moving tools, equipment, or other material as directed by supervisor.
- Assist in new projects construction
- MRZ works in all trades, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, concrete, painting, fencing, decorative concrete, etc.
- Digging trenches, compacting earth and backfilling holes
- Assist the team where needed
- Light building maintenance: changing filters, light bulbs, door handles, ballasts, ect.
20% of time will be spent:
- Assisting with Zoo Crew Staff Members: learning a register, parking cars, operating a ride for guests. (see zoo crew job responsibilities for possible duties)
- Other Zoo needs
To perform this job satisfactorily, an individual must be able to:
Grounds Worker must:
- Be able to work outdoors in all-weather from 0° to 100+° Fahrenheit
- Be able to communicate to his/her supervisor
- Be able to handle stressful situations calmly and effectively
- Be able to handle multiple tasks and be creative and motivated
- Have a great attention to detail to ensure safety and overall positive guest experience
- Construction skills and experience is a plus
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma or general education degree.
- Candidates must be 18 years old.
- 1 year labor experience.
- Have the physical capability and stamina to perform duties for 8 hours a day
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Full range of motion in back and all extremities
- Be able to walk and stand and bend over for long periods of time.
- Full time employment 40 hrs/ week
(Zoo does not offer overtime hours)
- Monday – Friday work week with occasional Saturdays. (closed Sundays)
Alcohol and Drug Testing:
Employees may not arrive on duty under the influence of alcohol or drugs (prescription or otherwise). Because this
position is a safety-sensitive position, employees may be subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee. He or she
will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.