|REPORTS TO:||General Manager|
|PAY RATE:||Starting at $10.00 – $11.00|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Accredited by the Zoological Association of America the Metro Richmond Zoo is known for providing exciting opportunities for guests to interact with the animals. The zoo is working to save endangered species in Virginia and around the world. By inspiring visitors and others to learn, care and act, the Metro Richmond Zoo is making a difference in our planet’s future.
Responsible for maintaining the physical grounds and guest’s access ways in the best light possible. Provides technical knowledge and insight to the health and development of our landscaping. Provide occasional leadership as situations arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
75% of time will be spent:
Keeping pathways and public access ways clean and safe and providing excellent landscaping and grounds upkeep by:
- Guests pathways and walkways
- Current landscaping efforts while improving where needed
- Keeping pathway fences in good repair
- Fertilizing, seeding, and watering
- Cutting grass, edging, trimming, and weeding
- Trimming bushes and trees as necessary and per their proper season
- Performing preventive maintenance and minor corrective maintenance on landscaping equipment
- Leaf removal and disposal
- Snow and ice removal when necessary
- New Projects
- Plan, budget, and propose new horticulture projects
- Install and maintain new plant life
- Coordinate work of occasional support staff
- Attending required meetings and trainings
- Light building maintenance required: changing light bulbs, door handles, ballasts, ect.
25% of time will be spent:
- Assisting in new construction projects around the zoo
- Assisting with Zoo Crew Staff Members
- Other Zoo needs
To perform this job satisfactorily, an individual must be able to:
Grounds Worker must:
- Be able to work outdoors in all-weather from 0° to 100+° Fahrenheit
- Be able to communicate to his/her supervisor and any temporary subordinates
- Be able to handle stressful situations calmly and effectively
- Be able to handle multiple tasks and be creative and motivated
- Have a great attention to detail to ensure safety and overall positive guest experience
- Painting experience is a plus
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma or general education degree.
- Candidates must be 18 years old.
- 1 year grounds keeping prior experience.
- Have the physical capability and stamina to perform duties for 8 hours a day
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Full range of motion in back and all extremities
- Be able to walk and stand and bend over for long periods of time.
- Full time employment 40 hrs/ week
(Zoo does not offer overtime hours)
- Monday – Friday work week
Alcohol and Drug Testing:
Employees may not arrive on duty under the influence of alcohol or drugs (prescription or otherwise). Because this
position is a safety-sensitive position, employees may be subject to random alcohol and drug testing.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties performed by the employee. He or she
will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.